Over six million Americans abuse prescription drugs each year. It was found that more than half of that number is females abusing prescriptions and about a third of the overall number is kids between the ages of 12 to 17.
Although symptoms vary based on the prescription being abused some red flags are:
- Stealing, forging or selling prescriptions
- Taking higher doses than prescribed
- Excessive mood swings or hostility
- Increase or decrease in sleep
- Poor decision making
- Appearing to be high, unusually energetic or revved up, or sedated
- Continually “losing” prescriptions, so more prescriptions must be written
- Seeking prescriptions from more than one doctor
It is important that you speak to a professional if you think you or a loved one may have a prescription drug addiction.
While you may feel embarrassed or ashamed, it is important to keep in mind we are professionals, and our job is to help you. Our team offers comprehensive drug addiction treatment programs.
This is done in an outpatient setting. It is designed to take part along with our educational treatment program. It is important to note that most hospitals are doing away with their detox programs, we however, are not.