We all experience stress — some more than others. It is vital to learn to cope with and manage stress for living a healthy and balanced life.
Do you think you are suffering from stress? Here are some common symptoms of stress.
- Difficulty sleeping
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Stomach pain or nausea
- Teeth grinding
- Panic attacks
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sweaty hands or feet
- Social isolation
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Obsessive or compulsive behaviors
There are many things you can do to relieve stress or better manage it. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Understand your stress: How do you stress? This is different for everybody. By understanding what stress and its impacts look like for you, you can better manage it in your life.
- Make self-care a priority: Simple things can promote well-being, such as enough sleep, food, downtime, and exercise, crafts, or hobbies that make you feel accomplished, creative and self-fulfilled.
- Reduce the noise: Turn off technology and cut out the noise, allow for some quiet each day.
- Manage your time: Prioritize and organize your tasks to create a less stressful and more enjoyable life.
- Talk: Talking to someone can help release tension that you bottle up or holding on to. This will help reduce stress and lift a weight off your mind.
- Eat!: Allowing yourself to get hungry can make you irritable and make it harder to manage stress.
- Avoid alcohol: Alcohol may feel like a good escape from stress and problems. However, it doesn’t allow for clear thinking, processing of emotions and can lead to dependence. Avoid alcohol in times of high-level stress.
If you are experiencing symptoms of stress and having trouble managing it, there is help available. Explore the programs we have available.